Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
Preimplantation genetic diagnosis is carried out for couples who are at a high risk for various genetic disorders. The steps involved in PGD are:
- Hormonal stimulation and oocyte retrieval
- IVF/ICSI and fertilization
- Embryo biopsy at the 8-cell stage: At the 8-cell stage, the embryo is totipotent. Hence, the biopsy of 1-2 blastomeres does not affect further growth of the embryo.
- Genetic analysis by FISH technique
- Transfer of normal embryos
- PGD showing normal blastomere
The entire process of genetic analysis is completed within a day and chromosomally normal embryos are transferred.
<< Back to IVF - Procedures