Dr. Muffazal Lakadwalla, M.S.
Founder, Centre for Obesity and Diabetes Support Page
Morbid obesity is a chronic medical problem and requires medical intervention. It makes one vulnerable to various co-morbidities like diabetes, High blood pressure / Heart disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep apnea, Respiratory problems and others but may also suffer from depression, peer teasing and other equally disturbing problems. There is a lack of awareness in people about a surgical cure for obesity. It is this lack of knowledge and understanding that prompted Dr. Muffazal Lakdawala, to create a dedicated support centre to battle the cause of obesity and its related co-morbidities.
Besides CODS, he has the responsibility of the Bariatrics and laproscopic departments in the biggest hospitals of Mumbai, India and various others across India where he operates frequently:
Vice President, Obesity Surgery Society Of India
- Head, Dept. of Bariatrics & Minimal Invasive Surgery, Saifee Hospital, Mumbai.
- Consultant, Dept. of Minimal Access Surgery, Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai.
- Affiliations with several hospitals across India and select centers overseas
Obesity Surgery Society of India (OSSI). It is affiliated to the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO). It promotes guidelines for the management of obesity and related diseases which are relevant to the Indian subcontinent. OSSI also lays down the guidelines for accreditation of centres of excellence and training of surgeons in bariatric surgery. OSSI took it up as a mission to increase awareness about obesity and its related diseases in India. The society organises regular programmes and meetings with general public as well as surgeons to further their knowledge about bariatric surgery. The society encourages a holistic approach for the treatment of obesity.
Member, AETF- Asian Endo-surgery Task Force
Founder President of Asian Consensus Meeting on Metabolic Surgery (ACMOMS)
Society formed by prominent endocrinologists, surgeons, anesthetists, nutritionists and physicians from all over Asia, dedicated to the field of Bariatrics, Metabolic medicine and surgery. The vision is to cure diabetes and obesity. The 1st ACMOMS was in Trivandrum, August 2008 and 2nd ACMOMS was in Jodhpur, October 2009. The 3rd ACMOMS will be held in Goa in August 2010.
Founder Member of IFSO Metabolic Society
Founding Member of the recently formed metabolic society at IFSO – APC Chapter
- Masters in Surgery (M.S.), B.Y.L.Nair Hospital, University of Mumbai; Completed residencies for 3 years in general surgery
- MBBS, University of Mumbai.
- Fellowship in Bariatric Surgery With Dr Raul Rosenthal,
- Cleveland Clinic, USA - 2005
- Fellow, Department of Bariatrics, With Dr Piet Pattyn, Head, Unit of Gastro Surgery. University of Ghent Hospital, Belgium- 2005
- Fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery With Prof. Seon Hahn Kim,
Seoul, Korea - 2005
Honours and Awards:
- Lecturer at B.Y.L.Nair Hospital, one of the largest teaching hospitals in Mumbai.
- Preceptor, Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education (EISE): conduct training for surgeons all over the country twice a month on minimal access on solid organs.
- Proctor for Covidien Asia Pacific Training Fellowships in Bariatric Surgery.
- Training Yearly Fellowships in Minimal Access Surgery
- 'Humanitarian of the year' Awarded by the All India Human Rights Association' 2007.
- Ranbaxy Award for Best Thesis at MS. Exams ‘Therapeutic Endoscopy in Obstructive Jaundice’.
- Silver Medal at Shirin Mehtaji Oration – 1996 ‘Obstructive Jaundice.’
- Gold Medalist in Anatomy
Live Surgical Demonstrations at Key International Forums:
- Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, August 2009
- King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, March 2009
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Live Surgery Workshop, Karachi, Pakistan – SOLES, Pakistan
- Gastric Sleeve Live Surgery Workshop, Lahore, Pakistan – Society of Surgeons, Pakistan. This was the first time a gastric sleeve surgery was performed in Pakistan.
- Gastric Bypass – Asia Pacific Obesity Conclave, Shanghai
- Gastric Bypass – Asia Pacific Obesity Conclave, Shanghai
- Minimal Invasive Surgery - Association of Bangladesh Surgeons
- Operative workshop at Asia Pacific Obesity Surgeons Meet, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Operative Workshop in Bariatrics in Beijing, China Page 4 of 5
- Minimal Invasive Association of Sri Lankan Surgeons Meet, Sri Lanka
- Asia Pacific Bariatric surgeons Summit Taipei, Taiwan
Academic Faculty at Key International Forums:
- Invited guest speaker at NUHS on SILS – Sleeve Gastrectomy, Singapore, June
- Invited guest speaker at ATC – Covidien on SILS – Sleeve Gastrectome, Japan
- Invited guest speaker at JSES symposium on Sleeve Gastrectomy, Tokyo, May
- Invited guest speaker at ELSA, Xiamen, China November
- Invited guest speaker at IASGO, Beijing Congress, September
- Invited guest speaker at IFSO-APC, Cairns, Australia, March
- Invited guest speaker on Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery at the 4th Annual General
- Surgery Symposium and Workshop, King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud
- University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, March 2009
- Invited guest speaker to speak at the Metabolic Surgery Symposium at the Arab
- Health Summit, Dubai, and January 2009.
- Invited guest speaker at the first metabolic surgery symposium organized by British Obesity Surgery Society, Colchester, UK
- Invited speaker at the IFSO 2008, Argentina
- Invited guest speaker at the British Obesity Surgery Society Symposium, London
- Faculty at ESLES Conference, Emirates Medical Association, Dubai
- Faculty at the 4th
- Asia Pacific Obesity Conclave, Shanghai
- Faculty at New World Disorder- Diabesity.... Address it, Mumbai
- Faculty at 6th
- International Obesity Surgery Expert Meeting, Austria
- Faculty at Metabolic Surgery Conference ,IFSO ,Portugal
- Faculty at American Society for Baraitric Surgery,San Diego
- Faculty at the 5th Annual Conference of All India association of advancing Research in Obesity, Ahmedabad, India
- Faculty at the Operative workshop at Asia Pacific Obesity Surgeons Meet, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Faculty at the 5th Alpine European Expert Panel Meeting ,Austria
- Faculty, AOASO (Asia Oceania Association for the Study of Obesity)in Korea
2005 and prior
- Faculty, IFSO ( International Federation of Surgeons for Obesity) Sydney
- Faculty at Operative Workshop in Bariatrics in Beijing, China
- Faculty at the Asia Pacific Obesity Conclave held in Delhi
- Faculty, at Galle, Sri Lanka at Association of Sri Lankan Surgeons Meet
Papers and Presentations:
- Faculty at Asia Pacific Bariatric surgeons Summit Taipei, Taiwan, Feb 2005
- Thought Leaders Summit, Seoul, Korea 2004, Invited as one of the 6 Surgeons to Represent India in the World Forum.
- Faculty on Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, LAPAROSURG, Gujarat 2005
- Faculty, ASICON 2004 Hyderabad.
Workshops and Conferences:
- Authored a chapter on Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass in a book on Advanced Laparoscopy first edition, Jaipee Publications
- ‘Retrorectal cyst hamartoma (tailgut cyst) with malignant transformation’ published in the Gynecology Oncology Journal 105 (2007) 266–268
- ‘Retroperitoneoscopic Biopsy of Para Aortic Nodes’ IAGES 2004
- ‘Retroperitoneoscopic Drainage of Paraspinal Abscess’ IAGES 2004
- ‘Laparoscopic CBD Exploration’ at IAGES 2002
- ‘Thoracoscopic Bullectomy’ at IAGES 2000
- ‘Thoracoscopic Cardiomyotomy’ at IAGES 2000
- ‘Therapeutic Endoscopy in Obstructive Jaundice’- ASICON 1996
- Organizing Chairman for the “Asian Consensus Meeting on Metabolic Surgery” – ACMOMS 2008 was held in Trivandrum on 9th
- ACMOMS 2009 was held in Jodhpur on 2nd to the 4th October 2009
- Organizing Chairman for the first “Asian Metabolic Surgery Conference” held in December 2007.
- Organizing Chairman for the first “Bariatric Training Programme” held in April 2007, a quarterly programme.
- Organizing Chairman of International conference “Laparoscopy Next 2006” an update on Advanced Laparoscopy held in Mumbai –October 2006
- Asia Pacific Bariatric Surgeons Group (APBSG)
- Obesity Surgeons Society of India ( OSSI )
- American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery (ASMBS)
- IAGES (Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons )
- IASGO (International Association of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists and Oncologists)
<< Back to Obesity Surgery (Indian Doctors)