Dr. M. S. Hiremath (Pune)
M.D.(Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology) MNAMS(Medicine)
"Study of Pancreatic Diabetes" under Prof.G. S. Sainani, Prof. & Head of Department.
SUPERSPECIALITY IN CARDIOLOGY:
- Participated in many clinical meetings, journal clubs, autopsy sessions, P.G. seminars on diabetes, neurology and nephrology.
- Passed M.D. General Medicine in December'77 at first attempt.
- P.G. exam in General Medicine held by National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, to become a Member of National Academy of Medical Sciences (MNAMS) in
- March'79. Passed both Part I and II of this examination at first attempt and
- Secured MNAMS in minimum possible time after MBBS.
Passed M.D. Cardiology examination (now called DM) held by Bombay University in December'80 at first attempt and stood second among all the candidates. Thus, Achieved M.D.Cardiology in minimum possible period after registering for the said Course. Was a student of G.S. Medical College with Dr. I. J. Pinto as P.G. teacher for M.D.Cardiology. Worked and submitted a thesis project for the said examination on the following topic: "ECG Correlation with Abnormal LV Motion and Coronary Arteriography".
Junior Resident in General Medicine from 1-1-75 to 31-12-75. Was first on call for about 75 indoor patients at a time. Senior Resident in General Medicine from 1-1-76 to 31-12-76, the break- up being as follows:
- 1-1-76 to 30-4-76 Skin & VD.
- 1-5-76 to 31-8-76 Psychiatry.
- 1-9-76 to 31-10-76 Diseases of chest & tuberculosis.
- 1-11-76 to 31-12-76 Pediatrics.
- Chief Resident in Medicine from 1-1-77 to 31-12-77.
- All above experience was at Sassoon General Hospital, Pune, which had an indoor bed strength of 1400. Daily routine included individual ward rounds, then rounds.
- with junior and senior colleagues, attending casuality calls, ward emergencies, OPD,
- Under-graduates teaching aids, lab investigations, undergraduate teaching, etc.
Worked as Lecturer in Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, LTMG Hospital, Sion, Bombay, from 1-2-78 till 15-4-81. This experience is a teaching experience in cardiology recognized by Bombay University. The said experience is also recognized by Bombay University for Post-Graduate training in cardiology. Daily routine included at least two daily rounds in a 14-bed centrally monitored Intensive Coronary Care Unit and a round in a 30-bed cardiac ward. Was available on campus six days a week for any cardiac emergencies. During this time was exposed to all the demands of a heavy ICCU including defibrillation emergency, intracardiac pacing, hemodynamic monitoring in myocardial infarction using Swan-Ganz catheter, etc. Was responsible for personally training a large number of resident doctors and nurses. Was also running a mobile coronary care unit, the first for the city of Mumbai, which in effect were all the intensive care facilities extended on wheels. Have personally attended more than 50 calls besides supervising a large number of such calls.
INVASIVE & NON-INVASIVE TRAINING:
Lecturer in Cardiology at LTMG Hospital, Sion, Mumbai, from February'78 to May'81. During this period, primarily did coronary angiographies and other noninvasive cath lab work like pediatric angiograms, balloon septostomy, peripheral angiograms, permanent pacemakers, etc. As a Consultant Cardiologist in Pune from May'81 till date:
- Honorary Associate Professor of Cardiology at Sassoon General Hospital, Pune.
- Consultant Cardiologist and Director of Cardiac Cath Lab, Ruby Hall Clinic, Pune: this lab does about 300 procedures every month.
- Consultant Cardiologist at Joshi Hospital, Erandwane, Pune.
- Consultant Cardiologist at Lokmanya Hospital, Pune.
- Consultant Cardiologist at Niramaya Hospital, Chinchwad.
- Outpatient Consultant at Medinova and Decision Diagnostic. Been very busy in the invasive as well as non-invasive areas in this period.
- In Cath Lab - usage of direct thrombin inhibitor – registry to see the efficacy and side effect profile-NATIONAL MULTI-CENTRIC REGISTRY.
- E-Five Registry – Drug Stent registry and follow-up
- E-Select Registry – Drug Stent registry and follow-up
- HARE & DARE (Hypertension Associated Risk Evaluation & Diabetes Associated Risk Evaluation) – CT Evaluation for Generalised Atherosclerosis.
- Generic Drug stent – systematic follow-up evaluation including angiographic evaluation – PRESENTED AT CAD 2005.
- Statin efficacy and safety for hyperlipidimia – INTERNATIONAL MULTI-CENTRIC TRIAL.
- Third Generation Beta-blocker in diabetic hypertensive – Systematic followup for efficacy and side effects.
- DES clinical follow-up. Attended certificate Training workshop on Good Clinical Practices Training - Organised by Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development Division.
- For the city of Pune
- First pulmonary balloon mitral valvuloplasty
- First dual chambered pacemaker
- First coronary stent (Oct'94)
- First carotid artery wall stent in the entire country and Asia Pacific region
- First radiation stent implant
- On the Editorial Board as one of the two experts for Interventional
- Cardiology for Indian Heart Journal.
- Scientific Council Member of CSI for the year 1999.
- Zonal member for Governing Council, East Zone, Indian College of Cardiology for the year 1998-99.
- Executive Committee Indian College of Cardiology 1997-98
- Vice President Indian College of Cardiology 2001-2002
- International Faculty CCT Japan 2002 Kobe -Presentation on “Drug Eluting Stents: Can we replace surgical revascularization”
- Guest Faculty Vidarbha CSI Chapter Nov 2002 – Talk on “AMI Management in 24 hours” and “Predischarge Rx for AMI: Why Diversity?” Also chaired debated on “Angio for anterior MI”
- CSI National Meet Nov 2002 – talk on “Optimizing PCI with GP Blockers”
- API Annual National Conference Jan 2003 - talk on “Hypertensive Emergencies”
- Chairman of Scientific Committee CAD 2003 Mumbai
- Faculty, Live course on Angioplasty, complex Angioplasty, Hyderabad.
- Faculty for Complex Angio Cases Discussion in First Scientific Meeting of Endovascular Intervention Society of India (EISI) Delhi March 2003
- Zonal coordinator for West Zone for Peripheral Intervention 2002-2003
- Organizing Secretary for PTCA Registry CSI 2002
- Organizing Secretary for CAD Annual Meet 2002.
- Presentation on left main stenting with drug eluting stent for instent left
<< Back to Cardiology Surgeons
<< Click Here to Contact Dr. M. S. Hiremath